Bologna Book Fair will celebrate its 60th Anniversary next week (6-9 March 2023) and IPA is delighted to be present and involved in a number of sessions on sustainability, the spotlight on Africa programme and women in publishing.
IPA President Karine Pansa will be at the opening ceremony and the BOP Awards as well as speaking on panels on the Sustainable Development Goals Book Club, chaired by Michiel Kolman, Chair of the IPA’s Inclusive Publishing and Literacy Committee, and women in publishing.
IPA has also partnered with Bologna on the Spotlight on Africa programme where there is a great line-up of sessions including one on the Readers of the Future.
IPA Vice-President, Gvantsa Jobava, will also be at the fair and is participating in a BBplus session on translations.
9:30 – 10:20, Authors Café - Empowering kids to build a sustainable future: How will the SDG Book Club drive action
The readers of the future have already experienced a worldwide pandemic, rising inequalities and the effects of climate change. Books are an important tool to help empower and inspire action amongst our future leaders. Launched in 2019, the SDG Book Club enables children aged between 6-12 to interact and better understand the principles behind the Global Goals. It has grown from the 6 official UN languages to include local chapters in Africa, Norway, Germany, Portugal, Brazil and Indonesia. Join us for an interactive chat focused on the question: how can these book clubs drive action and how can we do more?
- Michiel Kolman, Chair of the Inclusive Publishing and Literacy Committee, IPA
- Irina Lumelsky, acting chief United Nations Publications;
- Lisa Lyons, President and publisher Kids Can Press;
- Karine Pansa, President IPA.
16:30 – 17:20, Authors Café - Spotlight on Africa – Readers of the Future
Based on its current population growth, the African continent will be the home to some of the most populous nations on earth in the next 50 years. How can African and international publishers seize the opportunities presented by this population growth to create generations of readers of the future?
- Elena Pasoli, Exhibition Manager Bologna Children's Book Fair;
- Karine Pansa, President IPA;
- Lawrence Njagi, Chairman African Publishers Network;
- Anges Félix N’Dakpri, publisher & Director Abidjan International Book Fair, GAD Editions;
- Asare Konadu Yamoah, CEO & President Ghana Publishers Association, Adaex Educational Publications Ltd;
- Julia Claire Norrish, Executive Director Book Dash;
- Sandra Tamele, Founder and editor Editora Trinta Zero Nove.
Organized by: Bologna Children's Book Fair
In cooperation with: IPA - International Publisher Association
With the support of: ITA - Italian Trade Agency, MAECI - Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
09:00 – 10:35, PublisHer Area - The UN SDGS - Empowering the Next Generation of Girls and Youth Through Books.
For International Women’s Day, Bologna Children’s Book Fair and PublisHer are proud to present an exhibition of 115 books celebrating women and their past and present history from the catalogs of publishers from all over the world.
Opening Speech: Bodour Al Qasimi, Founder of PublisHer and CEO of Kalimat Group
- Perminder Mann, CEO of Bonnier Books UK;
- Karine Pansa, International Publishers Association President;
- Gvantsa Jobava, International Publishers Association Vice President
Organized by: PublisHer
In cooperation with: Kids Can Press
11:00 – 11:50, Hall 29 Mall1, BBPlus Theatre
Literary Translation Forum Part 2: Scouting for Books in Translation
- Porter Anderson, Publishing Perspectives;
- Lawrence Schimel, translator;
- Serena Daniele, founder and managing editor, NN Editore;
- Gvantsa Jobava, Intelekti Publishing;
- Nikos Argyris, publisher Ikaros.
Organized by: BBPlus, Greece Market of Honour BBPlus 2023